Saturday, September 14, 2019

52. Progress Report

I've decided I'm going to end this blog when I move to university. The 24th. The story of the hospital, and my time in rehabilitation has nearly come to an end. I've set up an email I'm going to use for updates, where maybe once every two weeks I'll give an update of how I'm doing in Sheffield. Please email shewillwalk@gmail.com if you would like to receive updates from me, and I'll put together a mailing list. I know I'll still have walking progress updates, and more rookie comments on discovering disability, but I know I'll have less time to write the blog. I also predict my weeks will become very predictable. I mean, who's to say I won't just email everyone my evolving thoughts on English Literature, but I guess there's only so much I can say about university that you don't know.

We had a staffing change at my centre, and were without a neuro-pyschologist for some time. We've got a new one, called Louise, and she has completed a full report on me. In the earlier report made on me after leaving the hospital, neuro-pyschological assessment was recommended. This is standard for brain injuries, and all the more relevant for someone returning to university. I've just completed the testing over a few sessions with Louise. The results indicate that my functions even out as above average, with strengths in verbal reasoning, and weaknesses in processing speed. Along with difficulty with my fine motor skills, this means I'm finding my on-the-spot, in-my-head problem solving a little slower. I think this result is fair enough, and it's no bad thing if I need to take my time more. That's what I was always being told at school anyway.

I've been recording my voice sporadically over the last months to track my progress. Here is a recording of me singing 'Amazing Grace in April', and one of me singing 'Amazing Grace in September'. Is there a positive change? Simone, the speech therapists, recorded me very early on reading out 'The Jabberwocky'. I still need to hear the recording again. I have also been practising my writing nearly everyday for the past 6 months. I've attached a photo of all the pages from the start of every month.

On Thursday, I completed a walking tour of the building with Dee, the physiotherapist. We went down a corridor, up some stairs, along a corridor, back down some stairs, and back to the gym. For some of this she was supporting me at the side, at other times she was just supporting my torso. I know at this stage that what I really need to work on is keeping my head up and my shoulders level. I'm reading 'Frankenstein' at the moment, for my course, and can't help relating to the hulking 'creature'. I feel like my walking is a bit zombie-like at the moment. It's my big aim for it not to be. It's good progress with the walking though. Dee told me to hold off buying a walking frame for the time being.

On Wednesday, Becca (occupational therapy assistant) took me shopping using the bus. In theory, buses are accessible. In practice, I found it very challenging to manoeuvre my electric wheelchair through the narrow walkway in the bus. I had my disability concession bus card, so could ride for free. (The only other time I took a bus was before I had this card. The bus driver let me on for free. I was so chuffed that the person I was with said, "have you never been on a bus before?") I asked Becca to take me to the shops because I had thought I would use the bus in Sheffield. Now I've faced humiliating myself in the bus in front of all the other passengers, I've rather gone off the idea. Good job Becca was with me; I didn't do anything too embarrassing but was so clearly a bit incompetent. No way do I want to face that alone.

Becca has also given me the all clear for getting myself up independently in the mornings. I find this a relief more than anything. It's been a year of allowing myself to be seen naked, which I haven't found too discomforting, but I  have never liked it. I'm glad I won't need assistance with washing when I go to university.

One track mind?

No comments:

Post a Comment