Saturday, August 10, 2019

42. Configuring Updates

We've decided to buy an electric wheelchair. You can get ones which fold closed for about £1,000. They don't look the sturdiest of things, but I don't need it for life-long comfort and reliability.  I just need it to get me places, and to fit in the car. My Disabled Student Allowance has got me a laptop, which arrived this week. Simone, the speech therapist, has also sent off an application for a SaeboGlove, via a Stroke Association Rehab grant. This glove will act like a splint, stretching out my fingers and supporting my thumb, which will enable me to grasp objects. We both individually chatted to the lovely lady in charge of ordering the grants, as we did not know what to put for my finances or bills. My student loan was cancelled for this year, but I'm living in residential rehabilitation, all bills paid. She told me what to put, then said the grants are approved by a panel. After that, she can order it straight away, so it could take up to 2 weeks.

I also had repeat Botox injections, back in the ward opposite the neuro rehab ward. My neurologist runs the Clinic. I had my appointment with her on Monday, then the Botox on Tuesday. Nathaniel, the physio, gave the injection with her. Dee, my current physio, came with me, and was impressed when I reminisced with Nathaniel how it was only this November that I couldn't even lift my head up independently. We debated the issuse of Botox in my hand. I'm well aware of the risk, that the fingers could become too relaxed for functionality. I'm hoping having the SaeboGlove will help counteract that. Botox takes about 10-15 days to kick in anyway, so I won't know for a few days yet.

I also said hello to Rachel, Sarah, Kerri and Alison (one of the other physios). Rachel did some walking with me in the ward, and could see the progress I've made. I also finally arranged to meet again with Marilyn, my intensive care nurse. She hasn't seen me since October, when I was unable to talk, just about able to wave, and had to lie flat on my back all the time. It was a very joyous reunion, me standing to hug her. She and Dee could both talk about me in Shona (they're both Zimbabwean). It sounded jokingly desparing.

I went swimming with Dee and my mum, so my mum can take me swimming in the future (Dee showed her the moves). She also showed my dad how to climb the stairs with me. Now my dad and I have been able to walk down the stairs, along the corridor to the gym using my walking frame, do a gym session and do the same thing on the way back. We also have a new physio assistant, so Dee has been teaching her how to use the treadmill with me. Dee's going on holiday next week, so needs everyone to be ok in her absence.

In my washing and dressing sessions with Becca, I've become virtually independent. Maintenance put in grab-rails for me on the wetroom walls, so I've been walking around the room, standing for the shower, and walking around to sit on the toilet to get dressed. No commode. I even tried to make my own bed. Becca had nothing to do, so amused herself reading a poetry book off my shelf. When at home, I can toilet myself and dress myself sitting on the toilet fine. We don't have a downstairs shower, but I can just wash. I've also been taking the opportunity, when at home, to practise walking with mum and dad. We walked the other day in the Leicesteter botanical gardens. I offered the wheelchair to my Granny. It was a bit big for her, and she found self-propelling harder than it looks.

Good effort.

2 comments: